Creating a WordPress blog in Nigeria isn’t the most difficult thing in the blogging world. So, if you’re seriously thinking about creating one, relax! It won’t take up to 30 minutes setting everything up and this you will do following simple steps.
We’ll make use of the best hosting company in Nigeria – DomainKing increating the BLOG..
Let’s know more about WordPress before going into the details of creating a blog with it.
WordPress is a content management system (CMS) created using PHP and MySQL. It is open source meaning it could be picked and modified to suit users needs.
Why Use WordPress:
WordPress gives a lot more options to the user, more than what any other blogging platform offers. Aside from its ease in setting up it brings portability, security, easy management and so on.
Notice we have WordPress.com as one of the other platforms for blogging. That’s a different WordPress platform from what we’re talking about.
The WordPress blog we’re talking about is the WordPress.org and it is self-hosted meaning you have some things to pay for.
Now let’s see the difference between these 2 WordPress platforms.
Difference Between WordPress.com and WordPress.org
WordPress.com is the free WordPress platform. It comes with limitations and cannot be monetized using ad networks and also customization to some level is impossible. Not advisable to use if you have a strong intention of monetizing your blog.
WordPress.org, this is the self-hosted WordPress platform. You have to buy your domain name and a hosting plan. Users of self-hosted WordPress platform are at liberty to do as they like with their blogs, they are simply in control of everything. We advise bloggers to go for this one.
WordPress.org VS Blogger
We picked the best rival to WordPress for this comparison which is the Blogger platform. Note this comparison is between the self-hosted WordPress blog against the free Blogger blog own by Google.
It’s not surprising how something that’s free could compare so strongly with something that’s not free. It also tells you that the Blogger platform is really good.
We will consider several major factors which every blogger should look at when starting a blog.
1) Cost: It must be the cost we start with as many people always look at this the moment they decide to start a blog.
WordPress: The self-hosted WordPress blog will require a budget to acquire a hosting plan from a hosting company, a custom domain from a domain registrar, a theme from an online theme shop (you could start with a free theme if your budget can’t cover this). These are the basic things needed.
Blogger: Blogs on Blogger platform are free, there’s no need to worry about the hosting or the domain name. However, you may want to buy a custom domain name and redirect it to your Blogger blog. Also, you may also want to buy and install a premium which comes with more customization and style.
Under the cost, the Blogger platform comes out on top but there are reasons why 70% of the websites on the internet are powered by WordPress.
2) Customization: The ability to change or tweak some things on your blog is very important. At times, customization can bring about your site looking professional.
WordPress: If you’re thinking about customization then it is WordPress you go for. The platform is open to any compatible change you may wish to apply. This has made a lot of functions available on this platform.
Blogger: In recent years, a lot has been done about customizing the blogger blog but it is good to know that it is nowhere near the WordPress platform. Better than before, yes, but still a long way behind WordPress.
3) Security: Even though the attack on site is a rare thing but it does happen and when it does, it can mean the end of your online creation if you’re not lucky.
WordPress: With WordPress, you are responsible for your site’s safety. There are measures one could take to make the site safe from attack. Lost of files here is also a matter of concern.
Blogger: Blogs on Blogger are safe as the data is stored by Google. But there is a future concern that Google may decide to end the Blogger platform. This is not a matter to be worried about for even if Google chooses to end the platform, there will be a notice before such a thing takes place.
There are other factors one needs to consider when choosing between platforms. This site Emycyber.com.ng was once the Blogger platform until when I felt the need to move it to WordPress.
Lest I forget, I render the migration service. I can help you move your Blogger blog to WordPress for just #3,000 direct bank transfer or $10 through PayPal.
Important Plugins for your WordPress Blog
For a new user to WordPress it is important you choose plugins carefully. The simple reason is that plugins have an effect on blogs load time.
There are over 40,000 WordPress plugins available to WordPress users but having 10 pr fewer plugins is advisable, especially when you have a need for all you’ve installed.
Let’s consider 10 important plugins for your blogs.
1) WP-Backup: First, backing up your blog is the best thing you can do for yourself. This will allow you peace of mind knowing that your content is safely stored somewhere.
Not that losing files happens often or to everyone but it does happen and that’s enough reason to make sure you backup your content.
WP-Backup gives you an option to backup your site periodically and it’s automatic and this whole feature comes for free.
2) Yoast SEO/Rank Math: These are free tools for helping you optimize your site for search engines.
If you don’t have a budget to buy the premium Yoast SEO tool then you should go for Rank Math SEO free tool.
These tools will help your site is having a good search engine presence if use them properly. An alternative to these 2 tools is SEOpress which is also very good.
3) Akismet: This is the best spam protector for WordPress sites. There’s a free and paid version, if you don’t have the budget for the paid version it is good you try the free version for the meantime.
Spam for WordPress blog is a major concern in the comment section and that’s where a plugin like Akismet comes in.
4) MonsterInsight: Knowing what people search for when they find your site surely gives something to think about and can also help direct efforts to the right areas.
It is quite easy to connect this plugin to your Google analysis.
5) Optin Monster: This plugin helps you build your email list which is a key component in monetizing your blog.
Optin Monster makes it possible to contact your site visitors through their email addresses.it comes with already made form styles.
Why use DomainKing?
Using DomainKing will provide you with a wonderful service even with a small budget. It only cost #5,500 to buy a .com.ng domain extension and a Soldier hosting plan on DomainKing which is quite good for a starter. I started this way myself.
You can read more about DomainKing hosting company by going through a full review of the company.
How to get a WordPress Blog Using Domainking Hosting
- Click HERE to visit DomainKing (keep this tab/window open).
- Click on Register and complete registration by confirming your email address.
- You can type in your desired domain name (name of your website). You can see the prices of the different extensions in the image above. Or click on “Register Domain” then type your domain name and tick the domain extension.
- Then “Lookup” to see if it’s available, if it is, you can place the order by clicking on “Order”
- You’ll see an image equivalent to the one above with “No Hosting! Click to Add” written in red, click on it to choose a hosting plan. There you’ll see different hosting plans available on the next page, click “Order” to choose the one you want.
- The last step here is to proceed to make payment.
How to Install WordPress on DomainKing:
After purchasing a hosting plan and a domain name it’s time to install WordPress.
- Log into your DomainKing account and click on “My Services”
- Go to where you have your Cpanel and click on “Softaculous App Installer”
- Then go to WordPress and click install.
Click HERE to visit DomainKing.