Learning blogging basics will guide you on how to start a blog in Nigeria. This article is meant to help you make some first few important decisions on your blogging journey.
You should know that the main goal for most of us is to make money blogging, I mean who doesn’t want money? But one could also do this while writing about one’s interest which makes it enjoyable.
It takes learning and investing to make it blogging and this applies to almost all online business – in fact, I don’t know where it doesn’t apply but I don’t want to act all-knowing. It’s not so easy anywhere I guess.
Let’s start with the basics of blogging.
What is a Blog?
A blog is a website but in this case a dynamic website. It is dynamic in the sense that, contents are regularly updated.
Being a blogger will mean that you set aside tangible time to take care of your blog, it could be by updating it, optimizing it or advertising it.
Under blogging there are niches. A niche is a particular topic on which a blogger bases his/her topics on, you call it sub-topics. Also, know that a blog can be based on several topics which are called a general blog.
Some Blog Niches in Today’s Blogging World
News and entertainment, Health, Technology, Gambling, Adult, Automobile, Sport, Finance, Pet, Lifestyle.
News and Entertainment: Blogs like this focus on updating readers of the latest happenings in the society and the entertainment scene.
- News and Entertainment: Blogs like this focus on updating readers of the latest happenings in the society and the entertainment scene.
- Health: Blogs under this niche educate their readers on health issues, development and possible solutions.
- Technology: Tech blogs share tech news, updates, how-tos and reviews with readers.
- Gambling: This is for the gamblers related to sports gambling. Gambling blogs mostly bring betting related advise to readers to help guide their decision. It is a very profitable niche if done properly. Click here for a guide.
- Automobile: This will hang around cars, different kinds, the latest brands and what to expect.
- Sport: Blogs here reports the latest sports news, it could be local or international.
- Adult: This apparently deals with the adult category, that’s anyone the age of 18.
- Pet: Blogs under this niche takes care of pets’ well being.
Note: There are other niches including micro-niches.
A micro-niche is a narrowed niche carved out from a major niche. An example is a football news blog carved out from Sports news.
With that said, it is time to choose a platform.
How to Start a Blog in Nigeria
Every blog you see online has its own platform on which it is built. There are so many platforms a blog could be built on with the most popular being WordPress and Blogger.
Other platforms are Wix, Squarespace e.t.c
Choosing which platform to go for can be challenging at times but we advise people to go for WordPress.org (if you have the budget) or Blogger (this is a free platform)
For a beginner that has no planned budget, Blogger is fine but if you have a budget of about $50 go for WordPress.
Click here to see a detailed comparison between the 2 platforms and how to get them.
Do Blogs Really Make Money?
YES! A very big yes.
I’ve made hundreds of thousands of naira ( about $2,500) in my one and half year of getting blogging right.
And to be frank, anyone can.
How do Blogs Make Money?
Understanding how blogs make money is a simple concept but getting it to work for you is another thing.
In any case, don’t expect to make money quickly from blogging. It takes months depending on your effort.
You can also make money buying shares online in Nigeria.
Blogs simply make money from visitors, that simply means if you don’t have visitors visiting your blog then there is no way you’re going to make money. Absolutely no way.
These visitors are called traffic.
Before or after your blog starts getting traffic, you must prepare your blog so your traffic can convert to money.
Some of the ways of doing this are:
- Using an Ad Network: Ad networks help bloggers make money from their blogs by placing adverts or by using their blogs as an advertisement medium. These advertisements are sponsored by advertisers to help take a product or information to the public. Check out the Best Ad Network in Nigeria.
- Through affiliate Programs: Affiliate programs reward you for helping them sell a product or sometimes service. Your job is to take the product to your blog readers and when they buy you get a commission.
- Sell a Personal Product/Service: You could choose to create and sell a product or sell a service. This is one of the best sources of blog income when once you’ve built an audience.
It could be a physical/digital product. So many bloggers write and sell ebooks.
- Sponsored Post: This is when a company or business pays you to publish an article that promotes their products or services. Don’t expect this to come early in your blogging career but it surely comes when you’re established with lots of audiences and that’s what advertisers pay for.
READ ALSO: How to Create a WordPress Blog in Nigeria
READ ALSO: Best Ways to Drive Traffic to your Blog